Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG{3} It's no fair, I WANT MY OWN AVATAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for the real; kicker, GP - it's not like that all over Britain!

I went through a Scottish education, which bears similarities, but many differences. And it just changed.

When I did it, at the end of 2nd year (age 13/14) you chose a set of subjects to study for Standard Grade (equivalent of GCSE). There were usually 7 or 8, but it depended on school. Some went as high as 10. Of those, you had to do English, Maths, a science, a modern language and a humanity. The rest were free choice. These you studied for 2 years, then sat exams at the end of 4th year (age 15/16) to give your course grade, in combination with some form of coursework (usually. Not common in languages). You were awarded (so some unknown reason) grades 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7. 7 is generally counted as "Fail", but I think is actually "Did so hugely badly we don't want to say", while the mythical 8 is a fail. Grades 1,2 are called Credit, 3,4 General, 5,6 Foundation. Usually you sat a General paper (grades 3 and 4 available), and then a Credit or Foundation depending on whether your teachers considered you clever or thick (I suspect you could decide yourself, but since the courses were significantly different according to which level of class you were in, it was usually a good idea to go the way suggested).

Then, you chose 5 (or sometimes 6) subjects to do at 5th year (ends 16/17). These would be Higher Grades (sort of AS level, but often considered A-Levels by Scottish Universities), or Scotvec Modules for the not-so-bright. Again, you had to take English and Maths, the other 3 were free choice. For Highers there was, as before, a final exam and usually a coursework element. These would combine to give a grade of A, B, C, D or F. E was technically possible, but practically impossible. I think it equated to "turned up, knew name, had some coursework but it wasn't very good." Every higher candidate sat the same paper. Modules had no final exam, they were based solely on coursework. I don't know the grading system, I didn't take any.

Then for the 6th and Final year (if your still around) (ends age 17/18), you choose a further set of subjects without any restrictions. You now have the option of taking Certificate of Sixth Year Studies (or CSYS or SYS - roughly A-Level standard, quite often a bit higher, although no-one took any notice of it), more Highers, more Modules. It was generally reckoned that 4 SYS was hard, 5 was very difficult and anything above 5 was sheer folly. These worked exactly like slightly harder Highers. The real kicker is that 5 A grade Highers will get you an unconditional offer to any Scottish uni to do any course except medicine, vet, and law.

And then, just as I leave, they change the system and I haven't a clue how it works now.
    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

SG{3}

And the other SGs accuse me of not being able to spell *makes a "p" noise while flinging head*
      Daddy (said in my "insuferrably cute smilie filled way" ) your spelling is simply atrocious! <--- you are 8 all over again!
      Don't ask!

The edit is because they were right...
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

gee a thread re avatar became an independance thread and then move don thru to a school exam thread, whats next??? a whats for breakfast dad i am hungry thread ??
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Chowlett, Why does Scotland have a different sustem form the rest of England? Are they behind?

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

As your sig states, Ras, known to irritate (and that's just your eccentric spelling ) - I guess if you have access to the IP addresses you would find three (mine at home, mine at work and SG(2)'s), but that would prove nothing -- I guess you will jsut (sic) have to trsut (sic) us
            Well actually my spelling is wonderful, its my typing that lets me down, my fingers are trying to keep up with my erratic thought process, and because i am left handed , i think my left hand is responding quicker than my right and is hitting the left hand keys quicker than the right ones so quite i often i will mistype words,,,

what part of liverpool ar eyou guys (and gal) from.. did you see my post earlier re my friends and where they from , on my last visit to the mother land i actually drove thru liverpool and drove on down to the dock area there where they have done lots of modernisation Albert Docks i think they were called... it was way back in 1992 so might have changed for the worse again i guess...

Comment

Originally posted by GP
              Chowlett, Why does Scotland have a different sustem form the rest of England? Are they behind?
              do all states in the US us ethe same system... . down under here in aus land.. each state utilises completely different systems for school exams and so forth.. when moving interstate very hard to descrbe to potential employeers what the difference is and try to get some sort of comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                SG{3}

And the other SGs accuse me of not being able to spell *makes a "p" noise while flinging head*
                Daddy (said in my "insuferrably cute smilie filled way" ) your spelling is simply atrocious! <--- you are 8 all over again!
                Don't ask!

The edit is because they were right...
                Or perhaps insufferably cute.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

whos cute... ?? SG{3} or SG{1} ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                    whos cute... ?? SG{3} or SG{1} ???
                    That would depend on whether you were 15/male/straight or 16+/male/gay
                    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

• Originally posted by Mouse
                      That would depend on whether you were 15/male/straight or 16+/male/gay
                      Sorry, Mousey, I'm strictly hetero! (and so is SG(2)) It is possible for two males to actually be friends have common interests and enjoy downing a few bottles together without forming a sexual bond you know!

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Or perhaps insufferably cute.

In defence of my daughter - I think she was quoting GP ...
                      Originally posted by GP
                      ...and still complain about Daddy in an insuferrably cute, smiley-filled way.
                      Mind you - it was spelled 'insufeerably' when I first peered over her shoulder.

Originally posted by GP
                      ... Why does Scotland have a different sustem form the rest of England?

This could be taken as a declaration of war ...
                      The United Kingdom comprises Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
                      Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales.
                      To suggest that Scotland is a part of England is a mortal insult to both nations!
                      To answer your question - no - not behind - Scotland has been traditionally less responsive to educational fashions and fads than England & Wales (which are governed as a single entity - historically Wales was formally conquered while James VI? of Scotland became James I of England and so Scotland has long maintained some small aspects of independence from the rest of the UK mainly in such areas as education and the legal system) thus resulting in the Scottish system often being seen as superior to that in England & Wales.

Ras - we all live in Formby a small town about 15 miles North of Liverpool.
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• To make it simple, you are saying the education system in Scotland is mildy different and BETTER than the rest of the country?

Comment

• Ok SG dont rember going through that area.....

And why do peopel always assume Scotland is part of England, they are two distinct and separate countries...

They get their own Football (soccer ) teams representing them internationally., England palys international Cricket but ahvent seen too many games against Scotland. I think it is only at highest level of sport (olympics) that they combine to play under the banner of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (to quote its proper name) but at the Commonwealth games ( a legacy from the Empire games created from when Britain was great) England, wales and scotland are represented separtely....

And for thoise wondering why it is actually called Great britain.. it was thus called to differentiate it from little Britain which was an area of France known as Brittany, which at one time was under control of the British ....

They were just brought under one king by James I (First in englnad cant rember what number he was for scotland they had a few James as king before that) .

A strange place indeed....

And that strangeness becomes greater when you consider all the different dialects they speak in and how small the island actually is~!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputin
                            Ok SG dont rember going through that area.....

And why do peopel always assume Scotland is part of England, they are two distinct and separate countries...
                            Same army, same foreign policy: one country with some regional differences. So it's all England in the end.

Comment

• your rigth it is one army but its a british army not English army !!

I guess its sort of like States in USA ... people in Southern American states probably dont like being called Yankees as that is reaally a reference to the Northern states... but in Australai we refer to all Americans as Septic Tanks as is rhymes with Yanks and also defines what we think of them

Comment

• Eh? Maybe? Anyhoo they all have funny accents as do you guys, too. All closer to England than to the US.

BTW: Brisbane? That was the one town I gave a pass to on my way up the coast...well gave a pass to Townsend also...

Comment

Working...
                                X